ABE’s Top Tips to Help You Pass Your Exams - Revision
Exams are looming and it’s a stressful time! Everyone tells you to just relax and do your best. Great advice, but easier said than done! One thing that can help is feeling well prepared. With this in mind, we have summarised some top tips to getting top grades:
1. Thoroughly understand the learning outcomes for the units you are sitting. Every exam paper will contain at least one question relating to each learning outcome so thoroughly understanding them will put you on the path to success. For more information go to the Members Area and read the Study Tips and syllabus for your unit.
2. Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Sometimes it can feel embarrassing if everyone else seems to understand something and you don’t. But don’t let what others might think stop you from asking questions if you feel you don't fully understand an explanation (your peers may well be wondering the same thing). So, if there is anything you are not sure about, ask your tutor to explain it then check and double check your understanding is correct.
3. Identify your weak areas. Test yourself using past papers from the Members Area and set a three hour time limit. Then check the examiners’ reports and suggested answers to see where you did well and where you may need further revision. Make sure you do this early enough to allow plenty of time to develop any weaker areas. Your college may well organise this for you. If so, make sure you pay close attention to any feedback you are given.
4. Develop a wider understanding of your subject. Make full use of the ABE resources, academic database and recommended reading lists to ensure you have a broad knowledge of the subject. The test questions will not be exactly the same as in past papers so gaining a thorough understanding of the subject gives you the best chance of understanding a question in any context.
5. Devise a learning method that works for you. Check what type of learner you are. If you are not sure check out our learning style quiz. If you know what helps you memorise and understand best you can build this into your revision.
We hope that you find this useful and wish you every success in the forthcoming exams.
Also check out ABE's Top Tips to Help You Pass Exams - Part 2 On the Day
Do share any top tips of your own.